Tagsairfare auto insurance Black Friday Budget Cable car insurance car tips cord cutting credit cards crockpot energy conservation energy tips Frugal frugal ideas frugal recipes gas money gas savings Halloween heating heating tips personal expenses save money saving money school school supplies shopping tips storm windows tickets Tips travel tips winter
Tag Archives: gas money
How to Save Money on Gas in the Winter
Many of us may not realize that we use more gas in our car during the winter time. Your gas efficiency can drop as much as 20% when the weather dip below freezing. There are many reasons for this such as a cold engine takes longer to reach maximum efficiency, cold air causes more drag and people let their cars idle or warm up for too long. All of these have negative effects on your gas mileage and bill.
If you want to save money on gas in the winter time follow these tips:
- Don’t let your car warm up for too long. It will warm up faster while driving. You are getting zero miles to the gallon while it is warming up in your driveway.
- Don’t use defrosters or seat warmers when not necessary they use too much power.
- Check your tire pressure regularly to maximize your ride. You should do this all year round.
- Remove any roof racks or anything else that might promote air drag.
- Park your car in a warm place like a garage or where it might get the benefit of full sun during the day.
- Use a cold weather oil.
- Drive reasonably. Jack rabbit starts and stops waste fuel.
Follow these simple tips and you will be well on your way to saving gas money for your car and putting a little extra in our pockets.