While out at a few stores over the weekend I was very aware of how costly Halloween can be if you want to decorate your house, get your kids costumes and hand out candy. But it doesn’t have to be expensive here are some frugal Halloween ideas to get you into the spirit.
1. Have a scary horror movie marathon with your friends or family. This one can be incredibly inexpensive especially if you plan it on a night where a movie marathon is being shown on tv. This time if year there is always a channel showing a marathon of slasher or zombie movies.
2. Find haunted house or spots in your area like a cemetery and go on a tour. It will take you no time at all to find local haunted or scary places on the internet. Plan a little route and take the family on a haunted tour.
3. Make your own costumes instead of buying or renting commercial costumes. I did this all time when going to Halloween parties. Find some old clothes around the house and make up your own costume such as a farmer, hobo, maid or any other common worker type. Add some make up from around the house and zombify your costume.
4. Make your own Halloween snacks instead of buying expensive store bought candies. You can make things like candy apples pretty cheap when compared to buying candy from stores.
5. Make your own decorations. There are lots of ideas online on how to make your own decorations which can be way cheaper than buying from a store. Remember, your local dollar store probably has most of the items you will need to make cheap Halloween decorations.
Halloween like any other holiday doesn’t have to be expensive. It just takes a little planning and researching and you can do it on the cheap and start saving money.