My wife picked up a nice little wine cool refrigerator for Christmas. I have been aware as I am sitting watching tv of it cycling on and off. I also have a full sized beer fridge behind my bar. I thought I would look at a few energy and money saving tips when it comes to my two refrigerators.
1. Place the refrigerator away from heat sources such as ovens or direct sunlight. Having them near an oven will just make it work harder to stay cold.
2. Defrost your freezer on a regular basis. Having it full of frost and ice will just make it work harder. I am actually doing this as I type. I didn’t realize just how bad mine was until this morning.
3. On the same note, keep your freezer full. This will stop the frost build up and the unit will not be working as hard to keep it cold. The same goes with freezers. When ours become empty I throw an old comforter in there to fill the space up.
4. Clean the condenser coils. Your refrigerator needs to breathe. I use a swiffer and give it a cleaning once a month.
5. Don’t turn your fridge off at night or put it on a timer. You will just have to make it work harder to get back to the set temperature.
6. Turn off your fridge’s “anti sweat” switch. It’s not really needed and this will save you considerable energy.
Have any more tips? Share them by leaving a comment.