Of course we all want to lower our energy bills this winter. It’s not a hard thing to do but take a little bit of elbow grease but with a bit of effort your can lower your winter energy bill. Follow these steps to save money on your energy and heating bills this winter.
Quick Tips to Save On Your Winter Energy Bill
- Turn down the thermostat at night or when you’re not home.
- Add a programmable thermostat to control the temperature for home and away times. Check with your energy company, some offer them for free to help you save energy.
- Open blinds and curtains in the day to let the sun heat your home and close them at night to keep the warm air in and cold air out.
- Lower the temperature on your hot water heater to 120 degrees. We are on a plan that lets the Utility company control our water heater and it saves us money.
- Consider buying and insulation wrap for your water heater. They are relatively inexpensive and easy to put on.
- Clean your furnace filter monthly, we just vacuum ours out and replace it annually.
- Check your outer doors to see if you can see light coming through, if so add weather stripping.
- Consider buying a plastic shrink wrap kit to cover breezy windows or patio doors.
These are just a few quick tips that will help your save money on your winter energy bill. They are for the most part inexpensive to do and you will see results on your heating and hydro bill. On the reverse they will also help you with your air conditioning bill during the summer months.