It is just plain fact. A programmable thermostat will save you money on your heating bill. It is a simple as that. Having it turn down the heat or air conditioning while you are a way and heating and cooling it back up when you are home will save you money on your monthly utility bill.
Programmable thermostats have come a long way in a short time in terms of technology and in price. You can get a pretty basic model with a number of off and on setting for $50 or you can go big with a wifi enabled thermostat that lets you program from your iPhone or smartphone.
This article from the Seattle Times is a perfect primer for learning the basics about how a programmable thermostat can save you money.
Thermostats have power to save on heating bills
Even if you have only a passing interest in home energy conservation, you know thermostats are no longer the utilitarian, mundane devices they once were. Thermostats have gotten downright trendy.
The newfangled thermostats have a lot to offer, but a basic programmable thermostat or even a manually operated unit could also meet your needs. When it comes to saving energy, you have the power. … Read more on The Seattle Times
- This is the original Nest. It’s beautiful, simple to use, can be controlled from your smartphone and works in about 75 percent of homes
- Auto-Schedule – Nest remembers the temperatures you like and programs itself
- Auto-Away – Nest saves energy by automatically turning itself down when you’re away
- Remote control – Connect Nest to Wi-Fi to control it from your smartphone, laptop or tablet
- Energy History – See how much energy you?ve used and what affects your energy use most