Tagsairfare auto insurance Black Friday Budget Cable car insurance car tips cord cutting credit cards crockpot energy conservation energy tips Frugal frugal ideas frugal recipes gas money gas savings Halloween heating heating tips personal expenses save money saving money school school supplies shopping tips storm windows tickets Tips travel tips winter
Monthly Archives: February 2016
If you find yourself getting farther behind then ahead when it comes to saving money you could be committing a number of mistakes that are costing you. Lets look at four common mistakes people make when it comes to saving money and how to fix them.
- Ignoring Small Purchases – Small purchases can add up in the long run and not keeping an eye on your small purchases can really put a dent in your wallet. Correct this by keeping track of your small purchases and see if you can cut them back. For example, if you buy several coffees at a shop everyday this will add up. Try bringing your own in a thermos. If you spend a great deal on fast food try packing a lunch instead.
- Ignoring Your Balances – If you are have having a problem saving money chances are you are not on top of the balance in your bank account and you are not watching where the money is going. This relates back to point number one but on a bigger scale. I constantly watch my bank account balance to see where my money is being spent and try to find ways to budget better and spend less.
- High Interest Loans – If you are constantly running over in your bank account, using cash advances on credit cards or high interest debt loans like payday you are not going to get far ahead. You have to start to make changes in your spending habits and do two things. Fix your spending so you are not doing this and get those debts payed off. Start with the higher interest loans first and work your way down.
- Denial – Denial is bad in anything you have a problem with and denial that you are spending too much is a bad way to be. By accepting the fact that you have to save or that you have to stop spending the way you currently are the faster you will get out of the hole you are in.
I realize this all sounds easier said than done and it is. I am not going to lie but if you can start to get a grip on your spending habits, start budgeting, stop borrowing and realize you want to do better, you can.
How to Save Money on Gas in the Winter
Many of us may not realize that we use more gas in our car during the winter time. Your gas efficiency can drop as much as 20% when the weather dip below freezing. There are many reasons for this such as a cold engine takes longer to reach maximum efficiency, cold air causes more drag and people let their cars idle or warm up for too long. All of these have negative effects on your gas mileage and bill.
If you want to save money on gas in the winter time follow these tips:
- Don’t let your car warm up for too long. It will warm up faster while driving. You are getting zero miles to the gallon while it is warming up in your driveway.
- Don’t use defrosters or seat warmers when not necessary they use too much power.
- Check your tire pressure regularly to maximize your ride. You should do this all year round.
- Remove any roof racks or anything else that might promote air drag.
- Park your car in a warm place like a garage or where it might get the benefit of full sun during the day.
- Use a cold weather oil.
- Drive reasonably. Jack rabbit starts and stops waste fuel.
Follow these simple tips and you will be well on your way to saving gas money for your car and putting a little extra in our pockets.